Art Can Happen Anywhere

Two weeks ago, I was at a political fundraiser for my friend who was running for county supervisor.  The event was at a grassy little park in Isla Vista on the Santa Barbara college campus.  In case you're not familiar with this cute little area of California, grass is a precious oasis in the midst of cactus, rocks and succulents.  Let's face it: a lot of California is just desert.  I am used to the thick green St. Augustine grass of Houston, Tx that promises a lush, splendorous romp but delivers chiggers and fire ant bites on the ass.  
I sat myself down in the cool, gentle rye grass with nothing but a pair of jeans between me and the earth.  The nationally famous Jonathan McEuen was sitting under an oak tree, playing an Elton John cover, the sky was a perfect blue, and the temperature was a balmy70; a typical Saturday afternoon in sunny California.  As always, my trusty Galaxy Note 8 flanked my right hip pocket like a pistol in one of those old western movies, ready for a "quick draw", pun intended of course. And there she was: the perfect subject, bathed in pale sunlight and shadow, waiting to be sketched and painted; my friend's adorable 2 year-old grand daughter, Claire. 
I love drawings like these.  They teach me that colors aren't always what they seem when exposed to light and shadow.  I love the challenge of value shading, that is applying a spectrum of true colors to what the mind knows to be only one.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

He's Just A Sweet Primadonna

Peyton's Kiss

Caylee Anthony: Always and Forever